New online services now available

Digital services

More vehicle management services


go online

Our 'Tell DVLA you've sold or bought a vehicle' online service is now available for the motor trade. 

Tell DVLA you've sold or bought a vehicle  


New services, available to motorists, also allow you to tell DVLA you've sold a vehicle privately or into the motor trade. 

Let us know what you think of our new services.

Read the blog

There has been a lot of talk recently relating to F.Gas.


Just to confirm the requirements for the recovery etc of F.gas from vehicle A/C systems as described by the Environment Agency,


MAC qualification. (relating to Air Con in Passenger Compartments)


If you are an engineer that recovers F-gas from the Passenger Compartment of cars or light vans, you are required to hold either a City & Guilds or the Industry of Motor Industry qualification for the Safe Handling and Recovery of F-gas (HFC). This would also be required if you were a repairer or installer wishing to purchase gas.


If you are an engineer working on the passenger air con equipment on Lorry’s, Trains, Planes, Ships, Farm Equipment or Tanks etc, you are not required to have a qualification under the F-gas Regs (although the EA recommend it) but you are required to use recovery equipment under Article 3 (par 1&2) of the 2014 EC No 517 F-gas Regs. It is illegal to vent gas when recovery equipment can be used.


Businesses that maintain the passenger air con units on cars and light vans are not required to hold a Company F-gas Certificate.

These regulations have not changed since they were introduced in May 2006.


The new Refrigerated Trucks and Trailers, from 01/01/15.


Engineers that maintain, install, service, repair, decommission or recover gas from the Refrigeration Units on Trucks and Trailers over 3500 kg are required to hold the relevant certification for the activity they wish to perform. These are the same qualifications issued by City & Guilds or the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) for the Stationary Refrigeration and Air Conditioning sector. These are different qualifications to those issued for MAC Recovery.


This is not related to the Pass Air Con equipment and again, does not require a Company F-gas Certificate.




Additional F-gas Guidance is available on the following website.

Enclosed above are two help sheets from the above pages.





Don't write off a write-off

HPI offers used car buyers a guide on how to purchase an insurance write-off that is not only safe to be on the road, but could save them 50% off the ticket price

HPI, provider of the HPI Check®, uncovers 649 vehicles per day for sale, which have been declared insurance write-offs, but says “not all insurance write-offs are created equal”. Whilst some write-offs are not fit to be allowed back on the road, HPI reminds used car buyers that others can be professionally repaired and legitimately returned to the UK’s roads; they could even be a bargain in disguise.

All vehicles that are written off are put in to one of four categories by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), depending on the level of its condition. The categories include cars that are instructed to be either scrapped or broken down for parts because the damage is too severe for repair and should never be allowed back on the road again (Category A or B); or cars that can be repaired and returned to the road, but are not economically viable to do so, so are recommended to be scrapped (Category C and D).

To read the complete article follow this link

Or click this link to view and download a PDF version






We’ve reorganised the way we work within DVLA

Inside DVLA banner

Inside DVLA

Read all the latest articles and features on the Inside DVLA blog.

We’ve reorganised the way we work


within DVLA

How we design and deliver our services is changing. 

Read our latest blog to find out how we'll be delivering our services in the future.


new ways of working







End of the driving licence counterpart

DVSA logo

End of the driving licence counterpart

From 8 June 2015, the driving licence paper counterpart will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA.

The counterpart was introduced to display driving licence details that could not be included on the photocard. These details include some vehicle categories you are entitled to drive and any endorsement/penalty points.

Please note, this does not affect photocard licences issued by DVA in Northern Ireland.

Customers with existing paper counterparts

If you already hold a paper counterpart, after 8 June 2015 it will no longer have any legal status. You should destroy your paper counterpart after this date but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence.

Customers with paper driving licences

Paper driving licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will remain valid and should not be destroyed.

If you need to update your name , address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.

You can find more information on GOV.UK about:

  Find out more